Thoughts. 11/9/16.

14:10


Hi friends.  

As I write this, a million thoughts are swirling through my mind.  To be honest, I’m struggling to believe what is going on.  Reality doesn’t yet feel real.  Last night, the country I have called home for 21 years elected a president who is against everything I stand for.  And I am terrified.  A message is being sent to all of us right now.  

Today, I’m sending love and support to all my LGBTQ+ friends.  My black friends.  My Latinx friends.  My Muslim friends.  My friends who are women.  My friends who are survivors of sexual assault.  My friends who don’t know what to do right now.  I’m with you.  I see you and I hear you and I love you and I value you.  Don’t give up, please.  

As a survivor of sexual assault myself, as a queer woman myself, I am feeling the sting of knowing that the president-elect does not respect people like me.  As a friend, as a sister, as a daughter, I am feeling the sting of knowing that he does not respect people like many of those I love.  It’s hard to be positive about that.  But I will keep fighting.  

The question I’m asking myself now is this: who will I be in Trump’s America?  Who will I be in an America I don’t agree with?  And I know my answer.  I know what I need to do.  I will be someone who continues to promote love and respect and kindness and acceptance, and I encourage all of you to do the same.  

I recognize the extraordinary amount of privilege I have. And I plan to use it for good--to fight injustice and help others who are less privileged.

Fight for what you believe in.  Love one another.  Listen to one another.  
I love you all.

Ella

You Might Also Like

0 comments